Has a clear sense of direction and know how to make a positive difference in others at work, at home and in the community.
Advantages when Purpose is High:
- Knows the purpose of their goals and direction clearly
- Sets goals that are important and easy to understand
- Ability to link other’s needs or aspirations to own purpose
- Inspired to stay on course in spite of changes
- Motivated, passionate and enthusiastic
Risks when Purpose is Overused:
- Over-zealous and impractical dreamers
- Adamant and inflexible about the way to achieve goals
- Will prefer to work on a task if it contributes to long-term purpose
- Self-absorbed and tends to move with their own agenda
- Overly ambitious and may overlook the immediate needs of others
Risks when Purpose is Low:
- Unclear about one’s mission and purpose
- Goals may be unclear or unfocused
- Easily distracted
- Finds difficulty in prioritizing what is important
- Put other people’s plans before own
- Be clear about the intrinsic value of what really matters to you at work and in life.
- Don’t let the external rewards have too much of an influence on your performance.
- Consider the legacy that you are leaving and the impact that you have on others around you.
- Invest time to reflect on what really matters to you / your team / your organization in the next 3- 5 years.
- Why do you do what you do? Create a compelling statement of purpose for yourself.